Sunday, July 5, 2009

Meeting Myles!

For those of you who are curious, YES, Myles is just as adorable in person as he is in pictures. If you haven't been following, Myles is my friends', the Greers, 3rd son (first from Rwanda) who came home 8 weeks ago.

I was up in Lancaster PA last week for work and the Greers invited Katie and me over for dinner. Myles goes to bed at 6ish (wow) so he was already asleep when I got there. I tried to hide my disappointment. While we were talking over dinner, Laurel (Myles' mom) said "Omigosh, you should just go run up there and wake him up". At first I thought this was a really sweet and special offer, but having a child who needs her sleep, I just couldn't accept. But then Peter (Myles' dad) assured me that Laurel actually wakes him up EVERY NIGHT. I love it. She is just so happy to have him home so she still wakes him every night. Anyway, of course I JUMPED at the opportunity and raced inside. I got to the bottom of the steps when it hit me like a ton of bricks. Myles probably lived in the same room as our kid. Myles was a glimpse of our coming child. and I completely lost it. I mean all out sobbing. I have no idea how I didn't anticipate this would be an emotional moment, but I guess I just didn't take time to think about it. So after "pulling myself together", I slowly made it up the rest of the steps and silently cried while I stared at him, touched his belly feeling him breathe and caressed his head. I ached for our child so deeply in that room that screamed of hope, joy and promises and longings fulfilled.

Coming back downstairs my blubbering mess continued and I was comforted by my friends. In all it was a wonderful night and conversation that left me longing and aching for our child.

6 comments:

  1. Adrianne, COMPLETELY understandable that the time with us would be contain such a crazy mix of emotions. While I was so eager for you to meet and cuddle with our "SMyles"...I also knew that this would be a sweet reminder that Myles slept many nights of his life in the same room with your precious little one who is waiting to come home. The great news is...he is home, which inspires us to hope and pray for your child who will, Lord-willing, BE HOME, soon. We continue to pray for you during this sometimes excruciating time of waiting. Bring on those heart-labor pains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myles is so freaking cute.
    Adrianne, you look so happy in that picture.
    Hunter and Adrianne, can you get approved already and bring your kid home. k thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh! i LOVE this.
    what a sweet boy, that myles - love seeing how much he has grown since being home just a short while! i bet he and your babe have a secret handshake and all... won't it be fun for them to play together in the future!?
    hi to you, miss katie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- I just found your blog and was stopping in to say HI- we are also adopting from Rwanda and have a remarkably similar time line! And, we also have a little girl Emilia who just turned 2. I'd love to hear from you! jenmjones@gmail.com or stop by and visit our blog too! God Bless your journey ! jen bill and EMilia cropf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey You,
    Thanks for the call the other night. As I read your account with Miles, I cried with you and my heart shares your pains. Hang in there. I am praying specifically for the Ministry this week to be motivated toward adoption. That should cover a lot of families, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrianne! I am so excited for y'all! I would really love to get together soon, catch up, and hear more about how things are going. We are surely praying for y'all! So, so thrilled to learn of your adoption. Love y'all, shannon

    ReplyDelete