Friday, August 6, 2010

sweet lucy goosey

Dear Lucy:
I just want to tell you something before I forget. you have done an unbelievable job loving your brother. I completely take for granted how smoothly his transition has gone as it relates to you.

I think you loved him before he even came home. One day before we got his referral I was sitting at the lunch table with you. I couldn't stop myself from crying (as you'll remember, there were a lot of days like this). And you tenderly touched my cheek and said "its okay mama. he's coming. we'll get him." Even though I tried to live fully present with you and daddy the last several months before he came home, I was preoccupied. But you didn't resent it. You loved him and wanted him home too.

Then we were gone from you for over two weeks to bring Isaiah home, and when we got home it wasn't like we could give you 100% attention because his needs needed to come first. and you never missed a beat. I keep waiting for a moment of resentment and it just isn't coming.

I love the way you still ask me if we can wake him up. "I neeeeeeeeed him" you tell me. If I give you a special treat you'll quickly say "what about Isaiah?" You don't want to do special mommy/daddy dates, you always want him to come too. If he gets hurt you very tenderly walk up to him and say, "it's okay Isaiah, I'm here. you okay brother?" He doesn't cry anymore when I drop you two off at the play area at the gym, but when you go to the bathroom while you're there, he sobs and sobs waiting outside the bathroom for you.

you adore him, which has made it all the more natural for him to adore you. who knows what it would have been like if you hadn't adjusted so well...all I can say though is that without proof, I believe your love for Isaiah, your gentleness towards him, the way you share everything with him, the way you always want him to be included in everything you do-- has transformed him. it has helped him to be able to share his things with others. you have helped him to feel more secure in our family.

you are the best of friends, and I believe it happened because you loved him first. it reminds me of the Father's love for us.

I love your sweetness, your sensitivity and the way you so gently yet firmly love others. I love being your mommy, goose.

2 comments:

  1. im obsessed with this post. its so freaking true and your little girl is one of a kind. i love her with all my heart. and i miss her and your whole fam so so much. she is the most tender hearted almost two year old that ive ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little girl. And, Adrianne, this love you talk about between the two of them comes through in all the pictures you post. Lucy seems so gentle and kind and happy! This little post has put tears in my eyes and joy in my heart ... you have such a sweet family! - D'Ann

    ReplyDelete