Wednesday, August 5, 2009

things I'm learning

If you're coming to this post hoping for something deep or insightful regarding adoption emotions, you've come to the wrong place. Welcome to what Hunter and I like to call "Shallow Land." That's where we like to retreat to sometimes when conversations or life is just a little too intense. I'm usually to blame for that intensity, but today I'd like to invite you to shallow land with me as I tell you about what I'm learning.

I was just writing to another mom who is adopting from Rwanda and told her that while I'm sure lots of people in our position (of waiting and longing) are learning some deeply spiritual lessons they'll carry with them forever, I'm learning (well, technically I've mastered):
  1. How to press send/receive on my email. I probably press it 50 times a day hoping that when I get "real time" emails, one of them will be from some family telling me they got their approval, court date, referral. SOMETHING. It is an obsession and it needs to stop.
  2. How to stalk other people adopting from Rwanda. I have all of your blogs. I look at them every day hoping there will be news. I feel like I know you. Hope that doesn't creep you out too bad--I promise I'm usually very normal.

I'm sure I'm learning other things...but really, this feels like the vast majority right now.

5 comments:

  1. I look at peoples blogs almost daily too!!! One of them has a live-feed that shows where you came from- I always think that they are going to think I am psycho. You are not alone.
    Laura Bowers
    AWAA Rwanda
    0-9 months either gender
    final draft of home study is in the mail to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHa! I too have a lot of Rwanda "friends" who probably don't know we exist! So I thought I drop by and Say Hi and introduce myself so I'm no longer a stalker :) My husband BIll & I are from philly, have a 2yr old bio daughter and officially sent our full dossier in June to Kigali. we're doing an independant adoption.
    We'll keep each other posted! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, technically it's not stalking since we all do it, it's kind of a support group that is a little warped?

    We're on vacation which is distracting me enough for now... come fall, though, I might get a bit antsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just all come out and say it: we read each other's blogs first thing in the morning and throughout the day. I even keep looking even after 5pm Kigali time in case anyone was so excited they didn't update their blog. Last night before bed, my husband check email or blog on his phone and found out someone had their courtdate. I've made a spreadsheet that's colorcoded with everyone on the yahoo group with estimated times and average times between everyone's dates from DTR to travel. The crazy just can't be contained. It's what helps during the slooow time now between good news. You're not nuts and not alone, stranger-friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Adrianne---I felt like that was how I LIVED for MONTHS. Finally, on those really, extra hard days of "no news"--I asked a close girlfriend to check email for me once in a while and let me know only if there was NEWS. I was so tired of sitting at my computer screen and getting nothing from Rwanda. :( But now, that's all a BLUR--the fleeting memories of our paper pregnancy. I am so thankful that the Lord knows the RIGHT timing and His timing is always perfect. We are praying for you as you wait.

    ReplyDelete